Sunday 18 December 2011

The Case of the Missing Pants...


The distance from Sevilla in the southwest of Spain, to Barcelona in the northeast is approximately 830 km. Anywhere from 8 to 12 hours driving, depending on how one drives and all the pit stops along the way. I am setting you up here to help you gain an idea of what kind of a distance I am talking about. Jeni and I were lucky and were able to take a high speed train to get to Barcelona on the evening of November 18th. It took us about four and a half hours travelling at 300 km/hour most of the way! Crazy! We need to get a system like this is Canada...6 hours from Edmonton to Victoria, BAM!

Barcelona!!!!! Who has not heard amazing things about Barca?! This was a much anticipated city for Jeni and I and was the last city to visit on our European excursion. We stayed at HelloBCN hostel just off of Paral-lel metro station and it was a pretty fun and happening place to stay at. If you want to party like a crazy person and come home at 5 am with no pants on, this IS the place for you! This DID NOT happen to me, I'm making this quite clear, but it did happen to one of our roommates. And she was not hungover the next day...how do people do this? Interesting night to say the least.

We were super excited to be in Barcelona because Jeni and I had purchased FC Barcelona tickets for November 19th. FC Barcelona!!!! We had purchased our tickets over the internet back in August and had been patiently waiting almost 3 months to see this match. Barcelona vs Zaragoza. The first day in the city, Jeni and I spent most of the morning at Camp Nou (the soccer stadium) picking up our tickets, being around the fan fare, and, of course, dropping some dough, re, mi at the official FCB store (sometimes I say these really cheesy things and I can't stop myself...it's in my genetic make-up). Did I buy FCB underwear? Yes I did!
Got the gold nuggets!


FCB store. Offish!
Can you tell that we were excited? Just a tad. After we had finished our Black Friday-like shopping frenzy in the FCB store, we decided to check out more of the city as the game did not start until 7:30 pm. J-Sak and I decided to check out La Rambla, one of central Barcelona's main streets for shopping, eating, and people watching! Mercat de la Boqueria, located just off of La Rambla, is Barcelona's most popular (and awesome!) street market. Anything you want, food wise, it at your fingertips.The fruit stands are beautiful and delicious with all the colours. Not only is fruit sold at La Boqueria, but so is fish, meats, seafood, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, candy, vegan wraps...anything and everything! Jeni and I had lunch at the market and kept cover from the mid-afternoon rain that had set in. 
Eating my fruit bowl at La Boqueria
Candy stand
The rain never let up and we found ourselves scrambling to find some rain ponchos right before heading to the Barca game. Luckily for us, when we arrived at Camp Nou, we discovered our seats were located under the balcony overhang and we were able to stay dry for the game. What can I say about the game? So many things! Barcelona won 4-zip against Zaragoza and played outstanding soccer. It was amazing being there and I left feeling like I knocked something off my bucket list! I mentioned to Jeni, half jokingly, that I hoped we got to sit by some hot guys. I should've knocked on wood because, with my luck, we found ourselves surrounded by children. *Sigh*...children.
To my Castaways team: I DID carry the soccer man around Europe, always in my backpack...except for this night!
A couple of Canadians at Camp Nou

Soccah action!

Hug it out.
Jeni and I never got a sound night's sleep while in Barcelona. We had four American roommates who were, I'm guessing, around 18 years old and seemed like it was their first time away from home. EVER. I feel that this age estimation is quite accurate due to their OH-MY-GAWD-THE-DRINKING-AGE-IS-EIGHTEEN type alcohol consumption...and the shenanigans that followed them (or in the Case of the Missing Pants, did not follow them) back to the hostel every night, or more accurately, morning. It was fine though, Jeni and I were quite entertained by them, they were really friendly, and always apologetic the morning after!

The next day was jam-packed! Another bike tour, people! No accidents this time. We did our Barcelona tour with Fat Tire Bikes and this company also runs tours out of other major European cities (we did a tour with them in Berlin). We rode all over Barcelona...so great...so freeing on a bike. The main highlight for me on our bike tour was cycling along the beach, looking out at the Mediterranean, and ending up at a beach side cafe to eat a small bite and sip sangria!


After our bike tour, J-Sak and I went to check out Gaudi's Sagrada Familia. Antoni Gaudi was a Catalan architect who had a very distinctive, creative and unique style. Sagrada Familia is Gaudi's most well known piece of work and is a mammoth Catholic church in the heart of Barcelona. The project started in 1883, is still under construction today, and the anticipated completion year is 2026. Apparently Gaudi knew the church would not be completed in his lifetime, and dedicated a lot of his time during the construction to teach other artists and architects his style, so they would be able to continue construction after his death. The Sagrada Familia is unlike any church in the world. To me, it looks like a melting candle on the outside. Inside, it will take your breath away. It is spectacular, wildly different than any other architectural designs out there, and something you cannot miss if you go to Barcelona! Jeni and I did the audio-tour inside...well worth the extra money.
On the bike tour...and Sagrada Familia in the background


Close up of the outside of Sagrada Familia
Inside of Sagrada Familia
Looking directly upward, inside Sagrada Familia
We explored Sagrada Familia in the late afternoon, and by sunset, Jeni and I made our way back to the hostel. That evening, we met up with a long-time friend of ours, Ellen, who is currently studying her Masters in Barcelona. Ellen and I were close friends in elementary and junior high, and Jeni and her played soccer together. After grade 8, Ellen's family moved to Ontario and, though we did not remain extremely close, we have always known of each other's whereabouts via Facebook and things like that. Before J-Sak and I left for Europe, Ellen had sent me a Facebook message encouraging us to try and meet up if Jeni and I were coming through Barcelona. And so, that's exactly what happened! It was a great night of some good eats and wine and a lot of catching up. We figured it had been about 10 years since we last all had connected! It was great to see you, Ellen!
Barcelona trio: Ellen, Jeni & I
Our last day in Barcelona was upon us and we kept it low key. I will admit, not only were Jeni and I drained from 7 weeks of travel, but so were our bank accounts. Funny how that goes. I still did some last minute shopping though...I got the koolest clock ever! Ashley, if you're reading this, I got one of those droopey clocks like yours that hangs off your mantel! I luuuvvv it! Jeni and I hiked through Park Guell, which also is home to some Gaudi architecture and spectacular views of Barcelona. 
Look at that mane! It has not been cut in 2 months! Barca yonder...

My dear friend...and look over her shoulder...you can see Sagrada Familia

Just to give you a perspective of the enormity of Sagrada Familia...
And, just like that, time melts away...another major European city conquered! The next morning we were up early and hopped the metro to the train station where we were Paris bound. Our flight back to Canada was departing the next morning, November 23rd, from Charles de Gaulle airport. Why Paris you might ask? Well, I booked my flight with Airmiles and it was a bit finicky as to where I could fly in and out of. One last train ride to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment